2014 IN REVIEW

2014 In Review Art Doodles & Projects Along the Last Year

2014 was defiantly a crazy year! Full of adventures and excitement (to a minimal though, haha!) and I actually got a lot of art done. I finished 10th grade and started 11th, and that summer in between I began the process to become a published artist. I'll be making a post about that in a bit, but right now I'm going to post a bit about the art I've done in 2014. 

Character Developments

For five years I've been creating a graphic novel about our racial, sexual, and human issues on our Earth. That means five years of developing a story.  It wasn't until this past year that i decided to totally redo the characters of the graphic novel, and then ad some. Below are a few characters and what they changed to. 

© Ryann Jensen© Ryann Jensen

←Character One→

© Ryann Jensen

© Ryann Jensen







←Character Two→

© Ryann Jensen











←Character Three→








Those are just three of the examples I had on me at the moment. As you can see, the top two are what changed the most. I thought they were too similar and had no diversity in it, which is the main subject and theme of my graphic novel. When developing characters, you really do need to think about how your audience want to see your characters, and how they make sense in the story.

School Assignments

School was alright, I only get one art class per term, so my art was limited to what was in the class in sophomore year, but first term of Junior year I was able to expand my imagination. One art piece I did that I particularly likes was my Virgin Bride. It was done over the course of a month and was done entirely in pastels. 
© Ryann Jensen
One of my favorite subjects is placing pop culture figures into religion, and vice versa. I've always have had a facination with religion, but am not religious myself. I love experimenting and placing fictional people into places where the normal person would deem odd. The Bride from Frankenstien is a classical character that everyone knows, and is an important female roll in the Universal world. Of course, so is Mary the Virgin, in the religious world. So two and two were put together to create this. 

Another project I did was my own project, where the teacher set us free to do whatever, in whatever drawing media. I chose to draw my take on Aphrodite. Mythology was a religion before it was deemed pagan and the Christian world took over, so I also have a peaked interest in that. I drew Aphrodite as a mortal, not as a flawless goddess. However, I did include many of the symbols relating to Aphrodite, such as the doves, the swans, and the golden apple.

© Ryann Jensen

I am thinking about going back and changing her face up a bit, as I don't think it matches the style I was trying to achieve, and I would like to also go back and fix some of the drapery and make the doves more prominent. I think I would also soften up the pencil lines, although I am someone who loves to be able to see individual strokes in art, whether it's paint strokes or pencil. If you have any ideas or opinions, comment below, please!

Criticism is always welcomed! Thank you for watching over my 2014 review!

Word Count: 577

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Juxtaposed Colors Blog Design by Ipietoon