GETTING YOUR OWN STYLE

Ways to Create Your Own Style With Artists You Love!

We all reach a time in our artistic careers where we just aren't happy with our art style. Whether that's because it's too much of your old techniques, you're somewhat-copying a fellow artist, or you're just plain bored of it, doesn't matter! You're looking for a change. Here is a technique I use whenever I hit this wall:

Artistic Frankenstein Monster!

Before I dive deeper in to this process, I need to strongly stress a few things, and I'll just simply list them below, they're self explanatory

  1. Do NOT ever copy someone's artistic style- it's THEIRS, not yours. Referencing is a-okay. 
  2. Keep in mind that style is a perception of realism- just keep that in mind!
  3. Anatomy is pretty key in stylistic drawing- you need to know your realism before you can stylize it.
Alright, with that out of the way, we can begin. As you can see from the subtitle, we're going to kind of reproduce Frankenstein's Monster (not really, sorry monster nerds!).  So here's some step by step instructions.

  1. Find some artists you like and pick your favorite aspect of their art (at least three examples) and put it all together so look at! I put something like this together below for you to understand what I mean. All together I love how Lily Williams draws eyes, how Phillip Light draws hair, Brittany Myers' figures, and Sanne's coloring. 
  2. Now start putting your favorite aspects together! Below is what I have for line art. What I love about Lily William's eyes are the use of thick lines and a single colored iris. Phillip Light's hair had a lot of simplicity and curvy dynamics to it, and you can't see it in the cropped photo below, but my character has curves and angles just like Brittany Myers' figures. I've also kept my own style to dominate the other styles: the nose, lips, and face shape have always been my favorite things to draw, no matter how difficult. I try to exaggerate those specific features to shape my own individual style. Do you see how using other's styles to reference off can shape the way your style develops? Next I'll be laying down some colors. 
  3. Keep going! As you can see I've colored the line art and blocked in my colors. I've also started the shading on the shirt. Sanne seems to use lots of layers, as her colors are lifeless and basically blocks of colors. I don't want this tutorial to progress into a how I create my digital paintings, so I'm going to continue pointing out aspects that I've carried on from other artists, and techniques I've kept myself.
  4. From this point on I'll just show you the pictures of the progress i go though to create the final picture. Thanks for viewing and I hope it was of some help!




Word Count: 477

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Juxtaposed Colors Blog Design by Ipietoon